Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Snow in Blacksburg!

Starting on Sunday, it began to snow in Blacksburg. Little did I know that the biggest snow storm since freshman year was in the works! This was the most fun I have had in the snow in years. It started on Sunday night with the annual Civilians vs. ROTC snowball fight on the drillfield. I had actually never attended this epic event and let me tell you, it was intense! Hundreds of students gathered at the center of the Virginia Tech campus to draw up the battle lines and declare war. Thankfully I escaped without any injuries!

Beautiful Burruss Hall in the distance

The battle lines were drawn and the war began!

David nailed Allyson in the face

After the snowball fight, a group of my friends and I watched "Gran Torino." What an incredible movie! I would like to see some more of Clint Eastwood's films now. The movie ended a little after midnight, and as people were getting ready to go home, we all saw how much snow had accumulated outside. There was no way we were going to give up an opportunity to play in a half a foot of snow, so we all bundled up and started running up and down the streets, throwing the football around. I even got tackled a few times unexpectedly. We went from the road to the playground for some swing jumping until eventually some folks were so cold that they had to head back and change. Maria lives on campus though, and with the roads as bad as they were, we decided it was best for her to just crash on our couch instead of us drive her back. David, Maria, and I chilled outside for a while longer, enjoying the beautiful scenery, and eventually went to bed around 5 am. I am loving this final semester of freedom to stay up really late and be a ridiculous college student!

Me, Thomas, Donny, and David

Maria and Karin

Get off my lawn!

Karin and Donny

Thomas and Thomas

David jumping off the swing

To top it all off, I woke up the next morning to find that Radford was canceled for the day! I had not had a college day canceled since freshman year and knew I had to take full advantage. I drove over to Christiansburg to purchase a few sleds and then headed over to the Foxridge hill to enjoy the snow with my friends. We had a few wipeouts along the way, including Allyson taking out a little girl after David and I pushed her down the hill. Thankfully the girl was ok!

Snow train!

That thing was fast!

Maria and I

Getting ready for one final snow train!

Maria, myself, Allyson, and David after a great day of sledding!

In the end it was a glorious 24 hours. It's days like this that I thank God for great friends and his beautiful creation. I hope you all got to enjoy some time in the snow as well! Only a few more days and spring break will be here, whoo hoo! I am heading down to Florida to see Grandma Dunham, with stops in Charlotte and Charleston along the way. It will be nice to be in warm weather for once on spring break, as opposed to cold New York and even colder Toronto, Canada. I will be sure to post pictures along with an update when I get back. Have a great week everyone!

1 comment:

Christy said...

Matt, one day you are going to look back (like I do) and say... how did I ever stay up that late... and somehow continue to function and bounce back so easily!
Let me know when you plan on getting here... are you staying overnight? with us or my parents? let me know so I can start to plan. Thanks... it'll be great to see you!