Friday, February 27, 2009

Falling in Love with Jesus Again

Two years ago I had the opportunity to go on a trip to Toronto with the BCM to work with a church plant there. Brett Porter is the pastor of The Sanctuary at Mississauga, a church that is a little over two years old. That trip was one of my favorite moments of my college career. This past Tuesday, Brett traveled down to Blacksburg and spoke at 6:33. I don't normally get to go to worship on Tuesdays due to class, but when I heard Brett was coming down, I emailed my professor and decided to skip. It was well worth it! It was wondeful to be worshipping with my brothers and sisters in Christ and to hear what God had laid on Brett's heart. His message was so pertinent to my life right now and really to everyone sitting in the room. He talked about his ministry uo in Canada and how he had to learn how to fall in love with Jesus again. Ministry had become just another job for him. He challenged us during this lenten period to fall in love with Jesus, perhaps even for the first time. I feel like this semester I am falling in love with Jesus for the first time. Sure, I have been a born again believer for a long time, but have I ever truly loved Christ above all things? I have given in to many idols such as relationships and sports, and have often pushed Christ aside. This semester God is working in amazing ways and giving me such joy! I am truly finding myself wanting more and more of Him instead of the other things that I usually seek for pleasure and satisfaction. Praise God! It is my prayer that Brett's message impacted everyone in the room and that we will all begin to fall in love with Jesus again. Below is a few pictures from the trip two years ago.


Brett and Kathryn Porter with their two children Clayton and Ashton

Kathryn and Clayton

Clayton and I. Sense a resemblence?

The whole team at the Curling Club

2 comments:

Christy said...

it is great to hear how God is moving in your life right now. It is the most amazing feeling to fall in love... and with none other than CHRIST... that is the BEST! I am in the midst of the same thing right now. I have been IN LOVE with Christ before... but I, as you read on my sunday blog, have placed other things in front of the Lord... I am this week praying the Lord renews His joy in me, and that He renews my passion and love for Him again. Why? because HE TRUELY is the ONLY one who is going to fill us up... nothing else compares to Christ, nothing else comes even remotely close. Enjoy this time with Christ, enjoy this time of closeness... and try to never let it go.
let me know what days you'll be here... we will be here.. you are more than welcome to crash on the way down or back... I do have to say that weekends tend to be more relaxed... weekdays are just really hard with homework, schedules and all. can't wait to see you.
love ya!

Jen said...

Hey Matt!! It's awesome to hear how you are growing in Christ!! God is so good!! Check out my facebook and you can see a site which lets you print your blogs in soft cover books and you can keep it for your wife and family one day!! What a great way for your children to see you walk with the Lord!!