Thursday, March 19, 2009

Spring Break

I had a fantastic spring break in Florida! When I first left, I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy taking a road trip on my own. I started to wonder if I should have gone on one of the BCM missions trips or gone home. I am so thankful I didn't! I was able to have a great time with Grandma in Florida while visiting a bunch of friends and family on my way there and way back. The weather was beautiful and the week was relaxing.

My first stop was in Charlotte where I was able to go to church with my family and enjoy a tasty lunch at Red Robin. I then traveled to Charleston, SC to visit my friend Brian. He is on a ten month stint with a theater company there. I had never been to Charleston before and the little that I saw of it was gorgeous. I then drove to Sun City Center, FL and had a wonderful three days with Grandma. She was a great host, making me some great meals and allowing me to have the freedom to do what I wanted. We watched some basketball together and also went to the beach. I had not seen her since January of 2008! Thanks Grandma for having me!

On Friday I went to the Mets spring training game in Lakeland, FL. Before the game I went over to the campus of Florida Southern College because I heard it was a sight to see. The campus was amazing and is filled with Frank Lloyd Wright architecture. After the Mets game I headed up to Atlanta, hoping to see my beloved Hokies play in the ACC tournament semi-finals. Unfortunately, the Tar Heels pulled off a close one against us again. I still went to Atlanta and caught up with my friend David who worked with me at Camp Ridgecrest. I stayed at his place on Friday night and then headed back to Blacksburg on Saturday.

It was really nice to be able to enjoy some warm weather for once on spring break after heading north for the last few years. It was just the right amount of time to relax before heading back to my crazy college student schedule. Now I am back and ready to finish off the semester strong!

One last thing before I go. My last post talked about the greatest basketball game I have ever seen. Well tonight was the best game I have ever seen in person. I went to the Virginia Tech/Duquesne game at Cassell Coliseum and watched as the Hokies triumphed in double overtime to advance to the second round of the NIT. Five Tech players scored 15 points or more and Duquesne's best player, Aaron Jackson, scored 46!!! Incredible game and another great moment in my six years as a Hokie fan.

Have a great rest of the week everyone and Go Highlanders! Can they shock the world and knock off UNC? Probably not, but I will keep my fingers crossed.

At the pool in Sun City Center

Palm Trees!

We headed to the beach on Wednesday

It was a beautiful day

Florida Southern College

A house on the campus

A unique building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright

My favorite place on the campus: The Water Dome

Another neat part of the campus

Daniel Murphy!


Jerry Manuel signing autographs. Unfortunately, HoJo was not there for this game.

Freddy Garcia

Align CenterJoker Marchant Stadium: Home of the Lakeland Tigers


The Mets won 9-3!

1 comment:

Christy said...

glad you had a good time with Gram. It was great to see you when you came through Charlotte. Hope your last semester is great... and you find a job. praying for you.