Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Big South Champs!

Well after Radford's victory on Thursday, I decided to stick around for the Championship game on Saturday, and what a great decision it was! The Radford Highlanders are your 2008-09 Big South Champions and are heading to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in over ten years! Most of you know I am a huge sports nut, so to be able to experience this in my only year at Radford has been pretty special. This was like winning the Super Bowl for Radford and I was right there in the middle of it all.

Radford played against VMI in the Championship game and quickly found themselves down 13-0. VMI looked like a team on a mission and would not miss in the opening minutes. Thankfully, Coach Greenburg called a timeout and allowed his team to regroup, and they battled there way back to take a 50-46 halftime lead. There were many lead changes in the second half, but Radford was finally able to take control late in the game, eventually opening up a 12 point advantage. VMI fought to the last minute, but Artsiom Parakhowski and the rest of the Highlanders were just too much for the Keydets.

As the last minute was ticking off the clock, you could see the smiles on the faces of our players. The juniors and seniors have been through some really bad seasons. Last year they finished seventh in the conference with a record of 10-21. This year they finish on top with a 21-11 record. What a turnaround! All the credit in the world has to go to the 2008-09 Big South Coach of the Year, Brad Greenburg. He has taught this team how to play together and trust each other on the court. The addition of junior college transfer, and 2008-09 Big South Player of the Year, Artsiom Parakhouski, certainly didn't hurt! What a season! Watch for Radford in the NCAA Tournament. Perhaps they can pull off a miraculous upset in the first round over what will be a top ten team in the country!

I think the success of the basketball team does wonders for the University. A lot of students have been unhappy with the Dedmon Center no longer being a public facility. While I can understand their frustration, I they will consider how much publicity and funding the athletic program, and especially the basketball team, is bringing to our school. It is always hard to accept an athletic team getting preferential treatment at an academic institution, but just reflect for a moment on how many more students will consider coming here in the future and how much more revenue is coming into the University due to the fabulous job done by Brad Greenburg and his players. Bravo men, a job well done indeed!

I had to paint up for the big game

"Big Art" winning the opening tip

Coach Greenburg congratulating our point guard, Amir Johnson, on a great tournament

Myself and Amir

Myself and Philip Martin. Philip is a member of the 2008-09 Big South Academic All-Conference team. I have had the pleasure of running into him a few times in Peters Hall and he is a real nice guy.

Philip cutting down a piece of the net

The whole team celebrating the Big South Championship!

Final Score: Radford 108 VMI 94!

In honor of Radford's big win, I have changed the colors of my blog to red and white. By no means am I throwing my Hokie pride away. I still bleed maroon and orange, but right now have to show my school pride as a graduate student at RU! Hopefully the Hokies can right the ship and pick up a few wins in the ACC Tournament and make it to the Big Dance as well.

Anyways, I am currently in Tampa, Florida enjoying the beautiful weather while visiting my Grandma. It has been a great Spring Break thus far, and it is only getting started! God is so good and redeems me everyday from the sin that so often entangles me. I hope you all have a great week in the Lord and GO HIGHLANDERS!

No comments: