Friday, March 13, 2009

The Single Greatest Basketball Game I Have Ever Seen

I know a lot of my posts have been about sports lately, and for that I apologize, but it has been justified lately. Tonight I was planning to simply watch the Syracuse vs. UConn game and then head to bed before midnight, getting ready to travel back north in the morning. MY plans were sort of changed when the Orange and the Huskies decided to battle it out for six overtimes! The game lasted over 3 1/2 hours, which for football is normal but for basketball is absurd. They almost played the same amount as two full games! Amazingly, the game could have ended in regulation after Eric Devendorf hit a shot at the buzzer for the apparent victory. Unfortunately for the Orange, the clock showed triple zeroes just before he released the shot. This sent the game into the first of six OT periods. The players were exhausted and could barely dribble in the sixth OT period. Jonny Flynn, Syracuse's point guard, showed an incredible amount of guts and determination, eventually leading the Orange to a 127-117 victory. The Orange didn't even have a lead once in the first five overtimes and had to battle back each time to extend the game.

What made this game even more amazing is my rooting interest. Before attending Virginia Tech, I grew up a HUGE Syracuse fan. I can actually remember my freshman year at Tech, before the Hokies were actually competitive, when Syracuse lost to Alabama in the NCAA Tournament. I was furious! I have since learned to bleed orange and maroon (and now red and blue as well), but still have a soft spot in my heart for the 'Cuse. The funniest part was that I was watching most of it alone on a small tv in my grandmother's house in Florida; doing my best to not shout out after each big play so as to not wake her up! Simply amazing.

Anyways, Tech had a nice win today as well and will now play UNC tomorrow at noon. Sorry Tennysons, but I will be rooting hard against you tomorrow! Hopefully the Hokies can contain Psycho T and the rest of the Heels. I have really enjoyed my spring break in sunny Florida. Grandma has been a wonderful host and the weather has been perfect. Tomorrow I will head up to Lakeland to see the Mets and Tigers play and then will head up to Atlanta to catch the ACC Tournament Semi-finals on Saturday. Hopefully the Hokies will advance to that point! The week will then be wrapped up with a tournament selection show party at Radford with the team and a bunch of Highlander fans. I am so blessed!

God has been so good to me this year. Really, He is always good to me! I have stumbled a lot this week in my pursuit of Him, but He has welcomed me back into His loving arms each time. Praise God for our Savior Jesus Christ who has rescued us from the grave. Have a wonderful weekend everyone. I will have pictures up from this week when I get back!

Devendorf celebrating after the apparent game winning shot. No one knew that six OT periods were ahead!

UConn's Kemba Walker after a miss that led to the sixth OT

Paul Harris controls the tip for the Orange at the start of the sixth OT

Kris Joseph and Jonny Flynn embrace after an exhausting war of attrition.

'CUSE WINS!!!!

(All photos taken from ESPN.com)

No comments: