Friday, February 5, 2010

Two Weekends with Val (Part 1)

God has truly blessed me with a wonderful girl who is in love with Jesus! Val is a woman after God's heart and someone who continually points me to Christ. I am so thankful for that! I really enjoyed hanging out with her the last two weekends; one in Blacksburg and one in Lynchburg. We have each been exposed to the world the other lives in and it has been a fun experience. I think the one thing we have both been able to take away from the last two weekends is that we both have some crazy friends!

Val came down to Blacksburg on a Friday night and we went to Backstreets for dinner. Backstreets was the first restaurant my family and I ate in when I came down to visit Tech for the first time. Sometimes I forget how good it is! After the game we headed back to my apartment and watched the Knicks battle the Lakers. My team gave it a good fight, but the Lakers prevailed in the fourth quarter. Meredith and Josh joined us later and we watched Julie and Julia, a very entertaining movie that exceeded my expectations.

Saturday started with a trip to Cassell Coliseum for the Hokies basketball game vs. Boston College. This was particularly exciting for Val who had not been to a major college sporting event (no offense Liberty fans!). Of course, in classic Tech style, the game came down to the last minute. Dorenzo Hudson scored to put us ahead by one with four seconds left. BC was unable to get a shot off on the other end and the Hokies were victorious! A trip to Rita's capped off the afternoon leaving us all satisfied!

The night cap saw Val and I traveling to Radford to hang out with Matt and Becca and watch the Radford vs. Liberty basketball game. This of course pitted the two of us head to head and unfortunately for me, Liberty surprisingly emerged the victor. Thankfully we survived this brief moment of disagreement in life and had a great time after the game! We played a little train game and a few rounds of hand and foot before returning to Blacksburg. Thanks Matt and Becca for dinner and a fun night!

Sunday was a very special day for me as I was able to take Val to Cambria Baptist and worship together. That church has meant so much to me and I am always blessed to be there each week. Everyone there was so welcoming to Val and made her feel right at home. We even had a new college student come to our Sunday school class! During the fall semester I had been asked to lead an adult Bible study for one of the evening services in January and the day had arrived! I was extremely nervous. I had led many Bible studies for groups of people my age, but never before in front of 20+ people older than me. The topic was parables and featured three from Matthew: The parable of the workers in the vineyard, the parable of the two sons, and the parable of the unmerciful servant. God really taught me a lot in my preparation for the study. Val was such an encouragement and support for me. She was able to help calm my nerves and pray for me throughout the day. Though I was a nervous wreck, God truly blessed me and spoke through me. We had a great discussion and dove deep into the content matter. I based the discussion around one of my favorite Relient K lyrics:

"The beauty of grace is it makes life unfair."

So often we think we have been mistreated and that life is not fair to us. The funny thing is, life is unfair, but not to us! The only thing we deserve is death, yet God sent His son Jesus to die on a cross for us so that we may live. How amazing is His grace!!!! These parables really highlighted the need to forgive others since we have been forgiven.

The night concluded at my apartment watching the Saints Vikings game on tape delay. Every time we DVR a game to watch it on tape delay, someone finds out who won before the game ends by mistake! This time it was Josh, who absentmindedly opened his computer and I guess by habit, navigated to ESPN.com. Hilarity ensued as he had seen that the game was now in OT. He was worried that the DVR was not set to tape long enough so he told us to close out eyes and just trust him. His plan was to add more recording time but he couldn't figure it out. Anyways, thankfully I had set it to record for extra time and we were ok. That night was full of laughter for a variety of reasons. Donny was being his usual ridiculous self, yelling at the top of his lungs to imitate the AMY Bud Light commercial and also was imitating Brett Favre calling the interception play (his favorite play in the playbook). We even played some Bean Game at halftime. All in all, Val had a great time with my friends and got a glimpse of why I say I have been blessed with the best friends in the world. Val and I watched a few episodes of The Honeymooners and The Big Bang Theory before heading to bed. Val left in the morning and I began another week. We were both exhausted after a wonderful weekend! Praise God for all He has done through this relationship so far.

Part 2 coming soon discussing the next weekend in Lynchburg!


Phil trying to bend the spoon back with his mind, Matrix style

Doesn't she look great in orange and maroon?

Hokies win!

No comments: